Thursday, May 20, 2010

Benton Harbor: Whirlpool Plans to Incarcerate Kids - Carter Plans to Give Them Jobs (2nd article)

Commentary in brackets

Police patrols added in Benton Harbor
[Ethnic Cleansing continues]


By S. Aiken, HP
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
BENTON HARBOR - Berrien County sheriff's deputies and state police will work extra patrols in Benton Harbor to help city police keep the peace during the warm weather months.
[They will not be there to help, but to destroy the morale of the people. BH has become a police state.]

The county and Whirlpool Corp. each contributed $50,000 to pay for the sheriff's patrols, the fifth year of the combined law enforcement effort, Sheriff Paul Bailey said.
[These contributions are to protect golfers and the wealthy from an unknown monster. This money could have created jobs for BH teenagers, many well below poverty level.]

Every weekend, the sheriff's department will have two patrol cars, each manned by two deputies, on patrol in the city, Bailey said.
[They will concentrate on the golf course.]

The patrols will stay in Benton Harbor unless called outside the city temporarily for an emergency, Bailey said.

State police First Lt. Willie Mays, commander of the Bridgman post, said troopers will work extra patrols in Benton Harbor during the week to augment the sheriff's department effort.
[They want to convince Berrien County that BH is super, ultra dangerous. Law enforcement will surround the golf course.]

Mays said state police may also add patrol cars on weekends as needed.
[If golf is being played.]

Benton Harbor Police Chief Roger Lange said the added officers, along with the department's reserve unit, will boost manpower to its highest level in a long time. [The morale of the people hasn't been this LOW in a long time.]

"It gives use extra officers and extra cars for more visibility and proactivity," Lange said.
[To proactively feed more people to the prosecutors and judges of Berrien County Court.]

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2010/05/12/local_news/1415637.txt


30 days, $200K: Carter challenges groups to raise money for job programs


By Evan Goodenow, H-P
Friday, May 14, 2010
BENTON HARBOR - The view looks bad for kids looking to get paid this summer.

With money tighter than ever, City Manager Ronald Carter Jr. on Thursday stressed teamwork to youth group organizers in finding money for summer jobs and recreational programs. Carter said the goal is to raise about $200,000 in taxpayer and private money in 30 days, which would pay for about 100 part-time, minimum-wage jobs.
"Youth programs are critical. It's something that we absolutely must do," Carter told an audience of about 25 organizers and youths at City Hall. "I know it sounds like a lot of money, but trust me, we can do this."
The effort comes at a time of record youth unemployment for people between 20 and 24 years old. Between October 2007 and December 2009, the number of employed teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 dropped nearly 25 percent and nearly 11 percent for 20- and 24-year-olds, according to a January study by Andrew M. Sum, a Northeastern University economics professor who analyzed Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers.
The youth unemployment rates were a higher percentage than the 16 percent rate for all workers during the Great Depression. The 49 percent unemployment rate for black teens was 3.4 times as high as the 14.1 percent unemployment rate for all black people in December of 2009.
Summer employment for teens dropped below 33 percent last year, a record low despite states receiving federal stimulus money.
The U.S. House has approved $600 million for summer teen jobs, but Senate Republicans - and three Democratic senators - on March 9 blocked a separate $1.3 billion proposal to create 500,000 summer jobs.
Benton Harbor is seeking money for 200 summer youth jobs from the state, but has not received an answer, said City Commissioner David Shaw, who was reached by phone after the meeting.
Carter acknowledged the challenge is particular difficult in nearly all-black Benton Harbor, where the destitute city was financially taken over by the state April 1. However, Carter said organizers can capitalize on festivities surrounding the Aug. 10 opening of the Harbor Shores golf course.
Carter said some 10,000 people - including a dozen NBA players he invited - are expected to visit for the unveiling of the 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course. Workers will be needed to spruce up the city for that and related summer events.
Carter emphasized strict accountability on spending, saying his office will oversee payments and the need for collaboration to avoid duplicating efforts.
Jobs will include cleaning and maintaining city beaches and parks, cleaning illegal dump sites, making banners and signs for summer events and overseeing youth sports teams. The deadline is next Friday to apply for money.

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2010/05/14/local_news/1423727.txt

No comments: