** 10 REASONS TO DONATE $10 TO BANCO'S LEGAL DEFENSE FUND **
*** ACTION ***
To start, we are looking for 100 good people to donate $10 each to BANCO's legal defense fund. This is phase one of raising the support needed and is your chance to make a big difference in the fight for a fair and just outcome of the trial and the recall vote. Supporters are also asked to come to Benton Harbor for a rally on March 11th and to be court observers once the trial begins. For more background and details, see the Web site below.
1) Support the right of Benton Harbor citizens to take a stand against a corrupt political and judicial system
2) Defend the right of Benton Harbor residents to speak out against injustice without intimidation and reprisals (two key witnesses for the defense were recently arrested and imprisoned)
3) Stop the disenfranchisement of Benton Harbor voters (a valid recall election was overturned)
4) Support BANCO's fight against brutality and sexual harassment by police
5) Help balance the odds for activists in a community with 90% unemployment and under-employment (material aid is needed)
6) Defend our friend and colleague Rev. Pinkney from an unjust trial on trumped-up charges (several witnesses have been paid to falsely testify against him)
7) Challenge economic and racial apartheid in the U.S. today
8) Make a positive difference for the cost of a movie or a couple coffees
9) With a donation of $20 or more, request a free BANCO T-shirt
10) Join with others worldwide calling for justice in Benton Harbor. Together we can make a difference!
*** BACKGROUND ***
In Benton Harbor, Michigan, residents won a recall vote of a corrupt city commissioner through a successful campaign led by BANCO (Black Autonomy Network Community Organization). Then, in an attempt to circumvent the will of the people, the vote was overturned by a local judge. In a further outrage, community leader Rev. Edward Pinkney of BANCO was arrested on trumped-up charges of alleged vote fraud. He faces a possible sentence of twenty years. His trial is set for March 15, 2006. BANCO won't back down and we need your help. We can't let authorities disenfranchise voters and squash dissent in Benton Harbor, or anywhere.
Make checks payable to "BANCO" and mail to:
BANCO, 1940 Union St., Benton Harbor, MI 49022
Contributions are tax-deductible. BANCO is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Download PDF flier